Saturday 26 January 2013

It's not magic

Enjoyed a surge in views the past week because my card was featured on the Funny Valentine's Card section on Etsy but it's since trickled off. I also changed the photo for one of my cards and that seemed to trigger more views. I keep reading about how important it is to have good pictures. I know it is but somehow it didn't really sink in, after this experience though, it's made me think about taking better pictures more seriously.

I know a lot of times my background of choice is too heavy, too dark and somber looking but it's really tough to get just the right amount of natural lighting. I'm going to build my own little light studio and see how it goes. I found this link yesterday that was by far the easiest to understand to date, check it out.

On the marketing/SEO front, I know I could be doing a lot more but I've got my hands tied right now. Since I'm going to be abroad for awhile, I thought I'd switch from printing my cards professionally to drawing them by hand. Which basically means one copy of each design but at least I can afford the time it would take to draw onto the card stock directly. I never realized how much time it would take just to edit a file to make it print ready. I used to slack a little on my final checks of the files but I've come to realize that it makes a big difference, I learned that lesson quickly too.  A small smudge on the pic will be glaringly obvious once printed out.

Think I sort of understand what type of cards I need to design to make them more sellable. I'm not going to compromise my style and be a sell-out but tweaking it a little might help in making my products appeal to a wider audience. We will see if my assessment is right, that'll be awhile though because I'm going to go on hiatus for the next 3 months or so before I get time again to really sit down to make new cards again.

Enjoying this last weekend before mayhem starts, eyes are closing on their own, time for bed.




No comments:

Post a Comment