Saturday 10 November 2012

A lending hand

The people on the etsy teams have been nothing short of helpful. I was pleasantly surprised at how much advice they doled out for a newbie and it actually made me feel glad I decided to open up shop on there. It was nice to see people so ready to be helpful. It's a refreshing change from hearing the tired and beaten down rants of people not wanting to help others because they don't know what's in it for them. Humanity and karma, that's what.

I think it's great that etsy started out as an online avenue for artists to get together and sell their wares and they made it a welcoming, supportive environment from the get-go instead of a competitive one. Business is business but art and design is so subjective. 2 people may draw the same thing but the style is always different and you'll have a different audience for each one. 

It was interesting to see that there were so many people from Singapore on etsy. That probably means I need to get out of the house more. I had no idea that we had so many handmade type flea markets in Singapore until the gf introduced them to me. Which is actually really exciting because it's fun getting to see people showcase their stuff. It's always interesting to see the products with their creators and the similarities/disparities between them. 

There are 3 flea markets going on Friday and tomorrow but I'm down with a real nasty bug and decided to rest up at home and not spread the germs around. It really knocked the wind out of me. I hope to catch the next round of flea markets before January comes around.

Looking forward to brainstorming for new ideas this weekend. The insane monsoon weather is the perfect excuse for cooping up at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment