Monday 5 November 2012

Inspiration and effort

Before I decided to really get serious and sell my work, I used to think that artists must have been such creative sorts that were inspired all the time and were perpetually overflowing with ideas. I thought that maybe I wasn't as creative as others because I'd face days of dry spells where nothing would really inspire me or make me feel like drawing or making stuff.

I started to read around and realized that artists do go through dry spells but the key to it was sometimes you just had to set aside time to draw or do something. Even if you don't feel like it, sitting down just to randomly doodle or draw might sometimes surprise you with what you end up with. One of my favourite illustrations came out of one random doodle that led to another and it grew very organically.

I also came to the realization that it was important to surround yourself with art or crafty things when you can. You draw inspiration from the works itself but also from the appreciation/awe of the creativity these artists possess and this in turn encourages me to want to draw and create more art.

Having had no formal education in art, I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the basic knowledge that many others have and I hope this doesn't mean I'm setting up myself for bad habits but instead maybe adding a new twist to the approach. Time will tell.

The weather's been swinging from searing heat to endless downpours but I like rainy days best for drawing. It really feels like my room is a stand alone with the falling rain blocking everything in the distance from sight and the sound of the rain hitting my windows providing white noise.

Then again, I'm also more prone to falling asleep to take naps because of the cool weather but I shall end this post on a high note.

No comments:

Post a Comment